Sunday, November 18, 2012

Final Reflection on Learning


First, I took this module to fulfill my unrestricted elective. It was recommended by a senior of mine that this module change her “whole perspective of education in NUS”. Basically, what I am majoring in is very theory based and I do agree with my senior that it does not really equip us into the working world.

I was quite afraid of taking this module initially though there is no examination. Due to poor command in English language, my assignment such as letter writing and proposal will be affected. However, I learn what to look out for when writing and how to check through my errors. Out of the 7Cs (Courtesy, Correctness, Conciseness, Clarity, Coherence/Cohesion, Concreteness, Completeness) in writing, correctness, clarity and coherence were my weakness when it comes to writing and I make the effort to practice them. It would come handy not only in cover letter but in report writing as well which will be done very often in future.

Non-verbal communication is one of the most important parts in this module. “Picture speaks a thousand words”, and this is depicted throughout facial expression, actions etc. This make me more conscientious when making certain remarks and conversing with my friends. This would also prepare me when I step into the society as I was known to be “oblivious to my surrounding”.

Another important “take away” from this module is learning to be assertive. Being assertive is not only applicable in working society but it also applies to our daily lives. I recall how I was enduring the nonsense from my classmates during my junior college days until one day I exploded in class. Ultimately, my relationship with those male classmates of mine turn sour and we hardly keep in contact till today.

The last 2 important lesson I take away are intercultural communication as well as how to give a good presentation. I hope to work as an educator and thus intercultural communication is important. Dealing with people from all walks of life every day, we had to learn to respect their culture and not give offensive comments especially in Singapore. On top of that, I also receive a lot of feedback on how to improve on my presentation skills which thus boost my confidence level when presenting.

I would also like to take this chance to thank all the people I have work with as well as Radhika’s guidance. Overall, this module is just awesome! J

1 comment:

  1. Hello Valerie!

    I agree with you that non-verbal cues are sometimes a significant factor in our communication and it is important that we are aware of them. Sometimes, an action as small as a shift of an eye can sometimes result in disastrous consequences, which can be avoided if we had been more aware of our non-verbal communication.

    Also, as you are planning to be an educator, I believe that being assertive will be a very good tool when leading your class of students in terms of gaining respect from them and also ensuring control of the class.

    Lastly, it was nice working with you on the Autism project as well as having all the small chats with you. I believe you will be a great educator and I wish you all the best in achieving your dreams!

    Redonnia

    ReplyDelete